Thursday, December 8, 2011

8th Day of Christmas // DIY Body Scrubs


While thinking of Christmas present ideas for my Mum and Sister I remembered something I had been researching a while ago – homemade body scrubs!! Perfect! ( I had a look at this website)

I love body scrubs!! I love how your skin feels so nice and smooth afterwards. I think I’ll make a pink lemonade body scrub for my Sister and a peppermint foot scrub for my Mum, she loves pampering her feet!

I’ve been using the peppermint one as a face scrub in the mornings to wake me up and I can’t wait to use the coffee one in the shower.

Homemade Body Scrubs

You will need;

Sugar (See recipes for what sort)
Preserving jars
A bowl and spoon for mixing them
A variety of essences or essential oils
Sunflower Oil
Gift tags or labels (which are available in a printable PDF here!)

I’ve included a picture tutorial for the Pink Lemonade scrub, all the others are very similar so just follow the recipes!

Pink Lemonade Sugar Scrub

2 C White Castor Sugar
2/3 C Sunflower Oil
2 t Lemon Essence
Drop of red or pink food colouring



1. Measure the sugar into a bowl and mash through the colouring and essence.
2. Add the lemon essence and colouring.
3. Begin adding the oil slowly; stir to combine until mixture looks like wet sand.
4. Fill up your chosen container and attach the label. Find it here.

Coffee Body Scrub

2 C Ground Coffee
2 T Castor Sugar
2/3 C Sunflower Oil
2 t Ground Cinnamon

1. Measure coffee into a bowl.
2. Add the cinnamon and the sugar. 
3. Begin adding the oil slowly; stir to combine until mixture looks like wet sand.
4. Fill up your chosen container and attach the label. Find it here.

Brown Sugar Scrub

2 C Brown Sugar
2/3 C Sunflower Oil
2 t Vanilla Essence

1. Measure the sugar into a bowl.
2. Add the vanilla essence.
3. Begin adding the oil slowly; stir to combine until mixture looks like wet sand.
4. Fill up your chosen container and attach the label. Find it here.

Peppermint Foot Scrub

2 C White Castor Sugar
2/3 C Sunflower Oil
1 1/2 t Peppermint Essence

1. Measure the sugar into a bowl and mash through the essence.
2. Add the peppermint essence.
3. Begin adding the oil slowly; stir to combine until mixture looks like wet sand.
4. Fill up your chosen container and attach the label. Find it here.



Make sure to take note of the warning on the labels – the oil residue can build up on the base of your shower and make it slippery, so make sure the recipient knows about this to avoid any accidents! I just keep a shower cleaner in my bathroom cupboard and give the shower a quick spray and scrub it clean with a brush after my morning shower. It takes 2 minutes! 


Like all of my '12 Days of Christmas' DIY tutorials, there is a PDF version of this blog post here. Simpy click on the link, print out the tutorial and get to work. Easy as that. Feedback appreciated!
                                                             
Make sure to check out the rest of my 12Days of Christmas posts for more awesome decorating ideas, recipes, and gift ideas!


12 comments:

  1. Ohhh I must try one of these!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them!! I will try to make one!:))
    Misaki
    http://a-mates0326.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long will the pink lemonade scrub last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) hmmm, quite a while, I probably used mine over a couple of months.

      Delete
  4. hi just wondering where you buy essences? And castor sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) I just got both from the supermarket. I use the food essences you can buy in the baking aisle. Hope that helps!

      Kc

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post. Can essential oils replace the essence and can grapeseed, jojoba, or almond oil replace the sunflower oil? I have tons of that here at home. It's better for African American skin =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is Castor Sugar? Is that regular sugar you would buy for baking? Thanks. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli Haglund what I usually do, I make my own castor sugar. All you do is take your basic granulated sugar and pulse it in either a food processor or blender until it becomes fine but you need to make sure it doesn't turn into powder

      Delete
  7. Great recipes that worth trying, what do the t and T mean?

    ReplyDelete